duminică, 12 august 2012

Film night - 'Magic Mike'

I don't think I've stressed this enough on the blog until now, but I'm a really big film addict. I mostly enjoy comedies, romantic comedies and romance films, but if I come across a good drama or a kick-ass SF now and then, I gladly accept that. Shamefully , I've kind of missed out on a lot of films this year, since it was such an important one, what with the finals and all that, but there's plenty of time to catch up. I enjoy going to the cinema as much as the next person, but I also like to watch movies at home, in the comfort of my own bed. It's not that the film tickets are expensive here, they're about 15 RON (less than 3£) and Orange also has a special discount on Wednesdays - 2 tickets for the price of one. Bargain, I know. Movies used to get here pretty late, they'd premiere and then, 2 months later, our cinema would showcase them. But, lately, we've had a pretty good run, films actually get here in time! (well, about a week or two later, but that's nothing).


So, after reading so much on the internet about this new film , 'Magic Mike', I thought I'd give it a go and see what the fuss was all about. Typically, if I like an actor and his acting style, I'd pretty much watch his entire filmography and see how he gets into character in different roles and whether he's evolving or not. I've seen quite a lot of Channing Tatum's films (the lead actor in the above mentioned film), mostly romantic comedies, and although I can't say he has a real talent (he certainly does not move me to tears), he is charismatic and he's got moves (dance moves, that is). So, there I sat, in the theater, waiting for the black screen to come alive. I didn't know much about the plot , but the words 'stripper' and 'inspired from Channing Tatum's life' kind of painted a picture.

Basically, the film centers around Mike's (Channing Tatum) life - he's a 30 year-old stripper, but not a shallow one, although he has casual sex whenever, does occasional drugs and really likes his alcohol. Deep, deep, deep, deep  down, he's a lonely, emotional guy, with feelings, whose wish is to make enough money to open his own custom furniture business. He becomes the mentor of 19 year-old Adam (Alex Pettyfer), whom he meets on his daily job on a construction site , and introduces him to his stripping club, where Adam becomes the new acquisition and takes Mike's place later on in the finale. Of course, Mike finds a love interest in Adam's sister, Brooke , who eventually makes him 'come to his senses'. Throw in ' the bad guy', Dallas, portrayed by Matthew McConaughey, the owner of the strip club (and also a very talented actor, in my opinion) and you've got yourself a comedy film.

All in all, I'd rate this film as a 5/10. It was quite bad, the only thing I can say I liked were some of Mike's scenes, where he mostly danced, not took his clothes off. Reminded me of his role in 'Step up', which I enjoyed, because the guy's a good dancer. Of course, if you're a strip club regular, jock, or a horny, screaming lady looking to feast her eyes, then yes, this is the right film for you. There's quite a lot of nudity,sex innuendos and visual images related to this, that personally made me laugh because they were far from exciting. I think the more suitable word would be LAME. I can't even think of 5 actually funny scenes from this film, although I suppose there were a few. This film's slogan - ' Funny, sexy, cool...A MUST SEE' - only applies if you're either bored out of your mind or,as a girl, looking for an excuse to watch handsome men undress on a big screen , without your boyfriend minding.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu