vineri, 13 iulie 2012

Accommodate me , please

If any of you have ever moved or switched houses, (or even if you haven't, you can still imagine) you should be fairly familiar with the hustle and bustle of a move. I have never been in this position - I've lived with my parents all my life and we only moved once, twelve years ago, to a bigger apartment, but I was six years old so I don't really remember the details. Now, not only am I moving to a different house, I'm moving to a different house in another country. Cue endless searches for the perfect place to live, countless e-mails to far too patient sales people and the dreadful decision making process, based on other people's opinions and the oh-so-accurate website pictures. Thank God for the World Wide Web, I'm just saying.

As the fairly organized, well-documented, not-wanting-to-leave-everything-for-the-last-moment freak that I am, I began browsing the Internet for proper accommodation last October, immediately after sending out my UCAS application. I know, don't count your chickens before they're hatched, but you can still do a little mental count, hypothetically. Anyway, after tormenting my poor Google Chrome with thousands of open tabs ( mind you, he didn't collapse once) and some very helpful people in the UK (that have put up with my endless questioning) , I settled on a central Bristol accommodation, in the 'heart of the city', as it was convenient both price-wise and distance-wise. I read all the terms and conditions stipulated on the website, about paying a deposit and the possibility of paying rent in installments, as that was the ideal (and pretty much only) payment method for me.

Despite my precocious search, I could not 'seal the deal' until mid July, which is when my exam results were coming in, because who knew what might've happened to me and the Universe on the day of my exams that could've prohibited me from getting the required grade. Exam results came in on July 8th  - all had gone well. After the well-deserved celebrations ( that got me sunburnt like a sausage in a frying pan - oh , how I love 40 degrees Celsius weather), I procedeed to clarify a few remaining doubts with the accommodation people , before paying my deposit and breathing in relief. Although their website clearly stated the possibility of a 8-10 installment plan, I thought (probably enlightened by a divine power) about asking them again ( who thought stressing people out with questions might come in handy? ) . Imagine the utter shock and disbelief on my face when I found out International students were only entitled to a maximum of two installments. Two questions squirmed in my head : 1. Why hadn't I asked sooner? and 2. Why don't these people specify the differences between UK students and International students, if they are bound to differentiate the two categories? This happened yesterday at noon and ever since I've been frantically looking for another accommodation, in the second phase of my alarmed, stressed and panic-y process. 

Fortunately, I found rather quickly a suitable alternative , kind of a back-up plan I had a while ago ; I had considered this other option for some time, but due to other factors I chose the first one, trying to convince myself that it'd work better and there was not much difference. I'm seeing things clearly now - there is a HUGE quality difference. I don't know if it's been brought to my attention in light of the recent events or I finally opened my eyes and decided to stop fooling myself. Bottom line is that I am now considering a hundred percent this second option and if all goes smoothly, the next time you hear from me, I would have already signed the tenancy agreement and bought myself a plane ticket.

Can you see the name of my blog reflecting in my post already? I'm telling you, serendipity works in mysterious ways.

PS: Header photo credit goes to Wikipedia, it's the view of Bristol's skyline. Kind of cheesy , you might think, but I quite like that picture and until I can master some Photoshop header of my own, this'll keep my lonely title some company.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu